Friday, November 16, 2012

Maxon Work

Students in Virutal Reality have been working with Maxon Cinema 4-D and were asked to construct a glass / bowl like object.  I found a tutorial online (sadly I cannot locate the URL to give credit to the awesome creator) and had students follow the tutorial.  There was some initial tweaking of directions since the tutorial was created for a different version of Maxon Cinema 4-D but the students adapted well.

Students initially describe their primitive drawing as "ugly."  However, once they applied the LATHE nurb and materials to their primitive and rendered it, they were impressed.  Many students actually pushed further ahead and created a floor and ceiling with gradients.  I was super impressed with their creativity.  One of the ways that I pushed them was to tell them that if they created what was in the tutorial they would earn a "B+" on the assignment.  I took advantage of their desire to want to earn high grades in order to motivate them.  This is an Honors class and the students received a weighted grade so I felt it was necessary to push them further ahead.  I did provide initial feedback on their creations and pushed them further with some suggestions.  I am quite pleased with the results.  Please click below to see what they created -

http://animoto.com/play/eGG3sRAmS3bQrTLKPyqkdQ

No comments:

Post a Comment